Mar 01 2017

The Mayor’s Corner 03/01/2017

The following information came from Weiser City Building Inspector, Dennis Cooper for public information as we begin to rebuilt and recover.

The damage that homes, commercial buildings, garages, carports, and accessory buildings received during “Snowmageddon” 2016-17 has created a shortage of some local professionals to repair and restore damaged buildings in our community. Some are already scheduled several months out on repair work.
During events like ours, some individuals will roll into affected areas and take advantage of building owners. Many qualified individuals from out of the area also descend on areas hit by disaster, doing quality work at reasonable prices. How do protect yourself from the “bad eggs” and choose a company or individuals.
You may call (208) 414-1965 and ask for Dennis Cooper, Weiser’s Building Inspector, if you have any questions about a company or individual who you are considering for repairs. He can provide current Idaho contractor registration status, but we do not recommend one contractor over another. To search the IBOL Contractor database online click here:

Below is a list of simple steps that you can take to protect yourself from people who prey on victims of disaster.
Do not pay any contractor in-full, in advance of work being done. Contractors may ask for partial payment to cover the cost of materials. Make sure you are dealing with a registered, bonded contractor for any major repairs.
Business cards and magnetic signs on vehicle doors don’t mean anything. Check Idaho contractor registration Status.
Handyman services are not allowed to perform structural work unless they have a contractor registration in the State of Idaho.
Get local references before committing to a project. If a contractor is from out of the area get three references from their home area. Out of state contractors should register in Idaho before performing any structural work.
Check with the Better Business Bureau for complaints.
Remember: It is often better to wait for a qualified contractor to perform structural work.
Disaster cleanup services doing structural repairs must be registered in the State of Idaho as contractors. 
Building Permits:
1. Any repairs of a structural nature require a building permit if the structure is 200 square feet or greater.
2. Building permits allow your local building official to make sure that the work being performed is done by businesses that are registered with the Idaho Bureau of Licensing (I.B.O.L.) and in good standing.
3. Homeowners are allowed to perform their own repairs and or as their own general contractor when hiring sub-contractors to perform work, but building permits are still required for any work of a structural nature on buildings of 200 square feet or greater.
What kind of work is allowed without a building permit?
1. Replacement/repair of doors without changing dimensions
2. Replacement/repair of windows without changing dimensions
3. Replacement/repair of exterior siding
4. Replacement/repair of concrete flat work (sidewalks steps, etc) Public sidewalks must be inspected by the Public Works Department prior to pouring.
5. Replacement/Repair of rain gutters
6. Replacement/Repair of roofs. (This is for replacement of shingles or metal roofing where only one layer of shingles is on the structure and no decking is affected.)
What kind of work requires a building permit? Any work that requires repair or replacement of structural members of any building in excess of 200 square feet. This includes:
1. Enlargement of headers above exterior doorways and windows
2. Replacement of roof decking
3. Repair/replacement of roof trusses
4. Repair/replacement of floor joists
5. Exterior and interior framing
6. Wall covering/sheet rock replacement on exterior walls of a residence
Electrical and plumbing permits are required by the State of Idaho, Division of Building Safety.