Print this Page

Brief History

[important]1925 to 1930: Construction Begins[/important]

The original portion Weiser’s collection system (sewer pipes and main lines) was constructed using terra-cotta clay pipe. The pipe joints used no grouting at all to allow for ground water infiltration, creating a “combined” sewer system which discharged directly into the Snake River and Monroe Creek. The theory behind this practice was the widely held belief that “dilution is the solution to pollution”.

Federal work projects during the depression years brought additional sewer work to Weiser. Excavation was performed using manual labor, with trenches as deep as 25 feet. Deep line construction was a common practice since pumps at the time were unreliable.

[important]1959-1960: Treatment Facility[/important]

The “”primary” wastewater plant and “pump stations” were constructed along with cement and asbestos-concrete sewer lines north of Galloway street and west of West 9th street. Raw sewage was now treated prior to being discharged into the Snake River.

Weisers’ northwest area sewage flowed through a main line on west 6th street and the east side of town was pumped from the Commercial street lift station to to the Main Lift station where it was pumped to the new facility on west 9th street.

[important]1972: Federal Clean Water Act Passed:[/important]

[important]1983: Wastewater Treatment Plant Upgrade[/important]

The Weiser Wastewater Treatment Facility was upgraded to include secondary treatment of wastewater using an “activated sludge” process to meet the growing needs of our community and comply with updated water quality standards. The wastewater treatment facility was now capable of a hydraulic average capacity of 2.4 million gallons per day and a peak capacity of 3.75 million gallons average daily flow, enough  to cover an acre of ground with 18 feet of water.

[important]1989: Under Drain/Sewer Lines[/important]

Installation of a groundwater under-drain pipeline and rehabilitation of sewer lines on the east side of Weiser. Clay pipelines were replaced with PVC pipe through a grant from the Economic Development Authority.

[important]1992: Utility Maps[/important]

Holladay Engineering prepared utility maps showing locations of sewer, water, and storm drain lines. A manhole numbering system was also developed.

[important]1994: Fine Air Diffusers[/important]

Replaced coarse air diffusers with fine air diffusers to improve oxygen saturation levels in Aeration Basins and Digesters, increasing the effectiveness of sewage treatment processes.

[important]1995 & 1998: Sewer Line Rehabilitation[/important]

Rehabilitation of aging sewer pipe throughout Weiser to reduce inflow and infiltration of ground and surface water.

[important]1997: Belt Press & Drying Beds[/important]

A belt Press was installed at the Weiser Wastewater Treatment Facility to remove water from digested solids. Drying Beds were constructed above the Washington County Transfer Station. With these improvements the Weiser Wastewater Treatment Facility became one of the few plants in the area capable of producing “Class A Bio-solids” for dry application to farm ground. Prior to these upgrades, all digested solids had to be hauled with a tanker truck and applied wet, then tilled into the soil.

[important]2001: Vactron Purchase[/important]

The City of Weiser purchased a Mobile Vacuum and pressure washer system for cleaning sanitary sewer, storm lines, manholes, and catch basins. This unit is also capable of drilling holes in the ground using a high-pressure water stream and special attachment.

Permanent link to this article: http://cityofweiser.net/wwtp/brief-history/